If you are an indie developer and want to make multiplayer games, you’ll likely need to rent a server at some point, in order tu run your server code, obviously.
Just to make things clear, I’m not talking about web hosting here, but about game servers. A bare bone machine where you can install and run whatever you want.
There is a huge competition, and a huge amount of potential VPS or dedicated servers offers out there. They all have all kind of prices, services and quality.
There are so many, that choosing is actually a pain, so I’ll go straight to the point and present you my favourite:
Why is it great?
- Prices are extremely competitive. You can have a VPS starting from 5$/month!
- It is “on demand” server instances. That means, if you need more servers at some time, you just click on “add instance” and clone an existing machine.
- It’s billed by the hour. That means, if you are in the development phase, you can start a server for a couple of hours to test out stuff, and shut it down later when you don’t need it anymore.
- You can choose where your server is located (west coast, east coast or europe). For game which need low latency, geographical location is very important!
- Support is great.
- UI is very pleasant.
- You have all kind of documentation on how to set up all sort of software/tools/frameworks.
Overall, I’m very happy with them and they are by far my favorite! Try it out!
I do this “advertising” mainly because I find them great. However, you are welcome to use my referral code: